Wednesday, August 15, 2012



Alright, doing some American Civil War. Needed a break from Warhammer, though I swear I will get a picture of the finished dragon soon. Plus I still have to paint the tower for fun too. However, the ACW stuff is a very nice break. It's 15mm and my favorite historical period to wargame. Picture isn't the best as I took it with my iPod and I will get some better pictures soon.

Three regiments are done, though a few stands are left overs from my dad's ACW which I touched up. Two more regiments to go and Armisted's brigade will be done. I've got two of the old Empire books that give *very* detailed orders of battle for ACW including manpower, troop quality, as well as weapon (not all had Rifled Muskets, especially in the early war). 

For rules I'm using Fire and Fury (both brigade and regimental). Primary rules will be the regimental system. I like it for a few reasons: the nice thing about regiments is it will give a bit more character. Seeing the 53rd Virginia, 20th Maine, or 2nd Wisconsin has more character than simply "Armistead's Brigade" or "Vincent's Brigade". Plus I feel like working at the regimental level feels like just the right scale for ACW. The brigade rules have the advantage of allowing seemingly larger battles letting the higher ranked officers come into play. Regimental F&F can allow for quite some detail, but I won't be using the more complex stuff like time of day (most players don't). 

I'm working on the Confederates first as I have more of them. I can get them done and get a sense of where I am at. Plus they're actually a little slower to paint, due to being less organized. While you're less likely to be 'wrong', you have to avoid them being that uniform. The Union will go by much fast as they are uniform and can be industrialized. 





No comments:

Post a Comment